Monday, March 5, 2007

Geek Tip #1

We have known for a while we will be moving to the UK. I have been trying to secure work from here (New Zealand), so I can start not long after landing.

This is impossible I have decided. There are two main reasons for this:

1) The time difference makes it very hard to contact recruiters via phone
2) Recruiters in the UK seem to work maybe 1-2 weeks out from the commencement of the job, so if you tell them you are arriving in say 4 weeks, they ignore you straight away. I guess they have enough people to filter, that you would need to be available ASAP.

Oh and I have found these the best job sites:

The IT Job Board
totaljobs.com
Job Serve (make sure you choose the UK site)
CW Jobs

Market rates seem to vary from place to place, but for a Senior C# developer then 300 quid a day is about minimum for London. Permanent jobs don't pay anywhere near that money. 30-45k per annum would be the norm.

If you decide to contract then it is easier to go through an umbrella company - they basically take care of tax and invoicing etc for you and take a cut (usually percentage) from your wages. I haven't got in touch with any yet, but I will post about it when I do!

1 comment:

Alex James said...

Subscribed.

Oh and btw from someone who has done it all before... if you want to make money do you're darndest to get a job in equities or failing that general banking.

If you do that within 6 months you should be on past 500+ per day.