Monday, April 2, 2007

First Day At Work

Tpday was my first day at Alstec. They are based in Whetstone, which is a town/suburb of Leicester. We haven't got a car yet, so I had to take the 7:19 train to Leicester, then get the 8:00 number 84 bus to Whetstone.

First F-Up of the day was getting off the bus one stop too early. 60 minutes of walking later I finally found the Alstec complex! Luckily (and unbeknown to me) it was an induction session and I only missed the propagander video. I was fair panicking though!

That went through to lunch. I was taken upstairs into my area just before lunch, but it is company policy for everyone on site to have lunch at 12:30 so I didn't get to meet anyone until 1:30. Also company policy - employees must take an hour for lunch.

Initial impressions are good. Nice people, and it seems to be very interesting and varied work. I will be working on the Airports side of things, with the baggage handling systems, probably doing a fair bit of Handheld programming in C#. More about that to follow.

Work wound up at 5:00 and I rushed to get to the 5:05 bus back into Leicester. I asked some guy who was at a bus stop if it was the right one. He said yes. It wasn't. I found the correct one and caught the 5:35 into Leicester which got in just after 6pm, so I missed the 6:05 train back to Harborough. I also managed to take a wrong turn and missed the train station too, and spent the next 45 minutes trying to find it again.

England is a nice place, but the road signs are simply awful. They are too small and in random places. It is almost impossible to find your way around without a map. Even with a map it isn't easy. I of course thought I knew where I was going and didn't take a map...

Anyway, hopefully tomorrow will be easier.

No comments: